Welcome

Welcome to The Tribe.
Your Humble Ruler, Rajah Cheech Beldone, King of the Gypsies.

Friday, June 24, 2011

Adjusted expectations

Hey, time for an updated Viewing Report for Ghajini:


OK, so it's what they call the masala genre.
Named for, obviously, the spice mix.
An example would be the all-time classic Om Shanti Om



Containing the unforgettable showstopper Deewangi Deewangi:





In theory, it refers to films wherein standard genres are combined, presumably to attract a wide range of viewers.
In practice, it means that, in Ghajini, just as you're in the groove of this dark, dark, extremely violent, gritty crime thriller, you are suddenly assaulted by an unbelievably obnoxious candy-coloured music video with full on dancing and all kinds of shit, like this:


And THEN it launches into a TOTALLY mental fucking romantic farce featuring, of course, The Girl


Who is, I'll give you, pretty good looking, even taking into account the Jolin-style wonky eye.

But the whole romance line is just MORONIC, and then, next thing you know, we're back to our hero, Sanjay, getting the living FUCKSTEAKS beat out of him by this pretty boy cop with a fuckin baseball bat.
And who ties him to a chair with ropes first, for fuck's sake.

And you know what?
The whole fuckin deal works, in a strange way.
I mean, who am I to argue with the world's largest film industry (and audience)?
Anyways, suffice (it, if you must) to say (who fuckin EVER uses that expression, I sound like such a hack) it all ends up having a weird kind of charm, and I'm still diggin it.

Oh, and don't nobody need to start squealing "SPOILER" at me, I've just described the first about 15 minutes of the film.

Hey, who's up for some mouth watering Chicken fuckin Biryani???


With a side of Dal Makhani??

Damn, that looks good...




1 comment:

  1. YOu're really into Indian food and movies. I had no idea, was just reading up these old posts (to see if you mention me anywhere and you don't. Thankfully!) and realized that. Even I haven't seen any of those movies you mention. Shantaram was a crap book! You're a fabulous writer.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for the fuckin feedback.
Readers' opinions and feelings are fucking important to me.
No, I'm fucking serious.
Really.