Welcome

Welcome to The Tribe.
Your Humble Ruler, Rajah Cheech Beldone, King of the Gypsies.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Free at Last, Free at Last

OK, so, for reasons I ain't going to get into, I'm on the 15 -day DL, and this is the first time I've been outside since last Friday.
Wicked, man.
Obviously, the women got better looking in my absence.
Thanks to everyone for not beaking off about the paucity of posts.
Thereby, you know, saving me the trouble of kicking your fucking ass.

Needless to say, I watched a buttload of movies.
I was (re) watching JOHN RAMBO (or whatever it's called where you are, you know, the last one.)

I've probably watched this one about 10 times. It's almost as good as #1, and that's saying something (did I mention that the first one was shot in Golden BC, a spot I've stopped in many times for sunrise breakfast when we used to roadtrip to Vancouver, we'd always take off about 6 or 7 pm and cross the Rockies in the night, and then just hit Golden as the sun was coming up...also that I know a bunch of guys who worked on that first one, blablabla)
Anyways, aside from Rambo (or, as we call him around my house, JAHNNY, you got to say it all chokey and breathless like Trautman would)


Driving that badass longtail riverboat


(and yes, that's my personal retirement plan), it's just a big fat awesome movie.

BUT, I wanted to say something about the phenomenon of One-Shot Movie Dealbreakers.
I think my old pal Disco invented this, the deal is, in an otherwise enjoyable movie experience, there's one single shot or moment that totally takes you out of the movie.
It doesn't necessarily  ruin the experience, it just sort of reminds you of how fucking bullshit Hollywood is.
One shining example, for me, is in The Bourne Supremacy. I just fuckin love them Jason Bourne movies, and this didn't totally fuck the movie for me, but it was a bit annoying.
The deal is, Jason and Frankie Pootenta are living in Goa and all, and it's all beachy and trippy and all, yeah? And Jason has like these fucking nightmares and headaches and shit about killing folks and all, and he gets up, and Frankie is all fuckin asking him if he's OK and shit, and he palms a couple Advils or whatever, and then
He
Washes them down with tap water.
In Goa.
Probably not, dude.
Anyways, despite how much I love JOHN RAMBO, there's one of these moments.
And yeah, it's considerably ameliorated by moments like when the Snake Farm boss is haranguing JAHNNY in that unbelievably annoying Thai pidgin, and he says:
"We need another python. See what you can do. We have enough cobras, okay? "
And Johnny walks away, saying
"Fuck off. Okay?"
BUT.
Johnny is sleeping in his weird little boat dock/blacksmith shop and Ken "The White Shadow" Howard comes to axe him to rescue Angel's girlfriend and creepy crosseyed Father Phil.
Thing is, Johnny's sleeping in this net hammock.
In the middle of the night.
Beside a river.
In Thailand.
In the middle of a monsoon rain.

With no mosquito net.

Sorry, Johnny, I know you're tough, but that fucking soap don't wash.
Still, pulling the bad dude's trachea out with his hand, well, that covers a multitude of sins.

Hey, among numerous new friends, we'd like to offer a hearty dobrodošao to HRH The Crown Princess of Croatia, good to have you joining us in this meaningless pursuit of critical horseshit.

Oh yeah, it's Friday.
Hey, I'm not just listening to this right now, it's also pretty fucking awesome shit.


Ryan fuckin Hedgecock notwithstanding.



Have a good weekend, babies.


13 comments:

  1. Even down in Taichung we've heard of the Croatian Warrior Princess formerly of Taipei, who crushes men's hearts and skulls as easily as Cheech crushes a Durian by sitting on it.

    When you gonna introduce me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley we can do our own introducing, no? Being all grown up and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tash, I'm Karl. I'm like a tall and eloquent version of the chief. No matter what he tells you, remember that I am not "painfully uncool", or "unable to dress myself", or "a steaming pile of unresolved sexual ambiguity".

    He just says that stuff out of jealousy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeez, I never said you couldn't dress yourself. What I said was, with that wardrobe, I don't know why you'd WANT to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karl. It was actually my ex boyfriend who warned me about you, some 5 years ago. But since he turned out to be a pathological liar, the logic tells me I should do everything opposite of what he told me.
    So, drinks? Are you in Zagreb this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A quick consult with Mr. Poglavica here has not cleared up my confusion. Did your psychotic ex really tell you dirt about a freakishly tall androgyne he ran across in Taichung?

    And drinks will have to be in Taipei someday, probably with the chief as a chaperone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are who I think you are on f.com (same avatar), then yes, he did.
    But he was full of all kinds of BS at the time, maybe you were just a random pick. He said "stay away from that xxxxx guy down in Taichung". Which I forgot about until now because I didn't go to Taichung anyway. One time, for Mr. Poglavica's concert, of course.

    Or maybe you are dangerous? Maybe that's in that 1% of things he told me that happen to be true. I'll never know.

    (Blogger wants me to type "coratoch". I don't think so. Give me another one)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stay away from gentle Chaon? Balderdash.

    I'm only dangerous to people who play speed chess for money in bars.

    And to ninjas. Can't abide ninjas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe you. I looked you up on FB. Totally demystified. For five years I thought you were this hardcore gangsta. I don't know whether to be happy or sad.

    ("heisfava". I like that one. It's got a lot of potential to become a real word. Something you're likely to find in the Urban Dictonary some day soon.)

    ((it feels wrong to say IN the Urban Dictionary. It should be ON, right? But we're used to dictionaries being books...))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I play King's Gambit. Can't imagine anything more hardcore gangsta than that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First Blood was filmed in Hope, BC not Golden. They had an anniversary party and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doh! Did I say Golden? I meant Hope. Sorry, I get them mixed up all the time. My sincere apologies to all Hopers.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for the fuckin feedback.
Readers' opinions and feelings are fucking important to me.
No, I'm fucking serious.
Really.